Does your child need help with homework or academic support in a specific subject?
Great news: You may use your Bright Horizons family support days to reserve an experienced tutor through Varsity Tutors or Sylvan Learning to help your child stay on track this school year. The Firm subsidizes the cost, so your co-pay is only $20 for 4 hours for each family support day you use. You may use your 4 hours of tutoring in 1-hour increments. Tutoring is available for children ages 6 to 18 (more information for 18+ tutoring below). Here’s how to use family support days for tutoring.
- Instant virtual homework help or scheduled 1:1 virtual tutoring in reading, math, science, social studies and 300+ other subjects.
- Targeted support with a math or reading expert who can identify areas of opportunity and help your child excel.
- Exchange family support days for 4 hours of virtual tutoring.
- You have 40 family support days per year, which you can use toward virtual tutoring – as well as for backup child care and adult care.
- You can book services 60 days in advance.
- When exchanging a family support day for tutoring, sessions will expire within 90 days of conversion.
Expanded Tutoring Program: The tutoring program is now available to learners over 18 years old – including college-age dependents, as well as yourself. Take advantage of this newly expanded benefit for the back to school season and all year long.
- Access support in more than 3,000 undergraduate and graduate subjects, including graduate school entrance exams.
You are allotted 40 family support days at the start of each year. If you have no remaining days for the year or want to utilize your days for backup child or elder care through Bright Horizons, the cost of tutoring is as follows. Rates reflect a 20% employee discount:
- Individual tutoring – $48/hour (average)
- Group classes – $20/hour (average)
- Enrichment classes: $0 to $20 per class
Discounted tutoring is also available through Revolution Prep and Sylvan Learning, although you may not exchange family support days for their services. Compare your options.
Tax Implications: The value of virtual tutoring is considered taxable income. For example, if you use your 40 annual family support days for tutoring, the value will be $3,720 (40 days x $93, the assigned value for 4 hours of tutoring) and you will be taxed on that amount, which can typically range from 35% to 45%, depending on your tax bracket.
We recommend you consult with your tax advisor.