How It Works


Choose your contribution amount when you enroll.

You can contribute between $100 and $5,000 annually to the Dependent Day Care FSA if you are single or married and file a joint tax return, if applicable. (Lower limits may apply in certain circumstances.) If you are married and file separate tax returns, you may contribute between $100 and $2,500 annually.

For 2021, the contribution limit increased to $10,500 (up from $5,000) for single taxpayers and married couples filing joint tax returns – and to $5,250 (up from $2,500) for married individuals filing separately. At this time, it is unclear whether the increased limit will remain or revert to the original limit.


You have two options to pay for your child or elder care expenses:

  • If the funds are available in your Dependent Day Care FSA to cover the expense, you can use your FSA debit card. Note: Funds are available as they are deducted from your paycheck through the year.
  • You can submit claims online at Claims are processed in 3-7 days or less, which can mean faster reimbursement. You can even submit multiple expenses and receipts for different family members at once.

Note: Not all expenses are eligible for reimbursement from your Dependent Day Care FSA. For example, child care expenses are covered but not tutoring or field trip expenses. And don’t forget to keep all receipts for child and elder care expenses.

Submit claims to UHC, the Dependent Day Care FSA administrator, by completing an FSA claim form (available on or the Benefit Center website) and including your receipts and the provider’s tax ID number.


You can use your DDCFSA for eligible expenses incurred by December 31, 2023. You have until April 30, 2024, to submit claims for reimbursement for expenses incurred in 2023.

Roll Over

Any unused 2022 Dependent Day Care FSA funds will not roll over into 2023 and will be forfeited.

Questions about your FSA? Call UnitedHealthcare® at 1-888-332-8891, TTY 711.

This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.